Shaman Healer Heretic, Olivia Lawson, Techno-Shaman #1 by M. Terry Green.

Shaman, Healer, Heretic: Olivia Lawson Techno-Shaman - M. Terry Green

Even for a techno-shaman, a kachina in the bedroom isn’t exactly part of the drill. When Olivia Lawson wakes to find one towering over her, she panics. A Hopi god visiting the real world isn’t just wrong–it’s impossible.

Or is it?

Soon Olivia learns that the kachina is the least of her worries. As she struggles to save her clients, clashes with other shamans, and fends off the attacks of real-world vigilantes, Olivia finds herself in the destructive path of a malevolent ancient force intent on leaving the spiritual realm to conquer this one.

Left with few options, Olivia is forced to defy centuries of shaman prohibitions. As she and her allies risk everything in their bid for survival, Olivia ultimately learns that the rules are there for a reason and that breaking them has a terrible cost.

This sort of heads in the same direction as Kate Griffin's "A Madness of Angels" in that the traditional routes to magic aren't the only ones, and as society changes, so does the magic. In this particular case the traditional methods of shamans, vision quests, reaching trance states via drugs or drumming or all the other myriad ways it's been done, can also be done using technology: 3D goggles in fact. Thus the rise of the technomage.

The writing is a lot more straightforward than anything Kate Griffin ever wrote, which some may view as a bonus. I can go either way (I adore the Matthew Swift books, but sometimes it's nice to not have to do any work as a reader too!)

I liked this. It's fun, shamanism and nature religions share some universals world and history wide, but they're also all unique, and this book manages to deal with that quite nicely. The magic system and world building is done very well, bearing in mind I am miss anti-exposition and I don't mind having to look up the odd word (Actually, if you just look up Kachina and Nahual, you can probably manage the rest :)

There's also a pretty decent mystery story going on in here, with multiple suspects to pick from, and some really fun characters. I spotted one of the bad guys a mile away and 20 chapters before the revelation but then I'm a suspicious type who reads a lot of UF mysteries. And the other, their connection and the reason behind everything, I honestly didn't, and that was quite refreshing.