Learning to Fly: Practical Knowledge Management from Some of the World's Leading Learning Organizations [With CDROM] - Chris Collison

I hate reviewing textbooks, but this one was actually a pretty fun read. The authors use a lot of examples of techniques as they applied them at BP, among others, and they are pretty well known in the field, so they have a fair bit of credibility.

This is aimed more at practitioners than academics, - it's heavily practical, although there is some theory covered in late chapters. Since that theory was right up my alley with Communities of Practice, this book and I got along just fine. I have a sneaking suspicion that the first 3/4ths of the book slid down easy because I already know this stuff, and very little was new, it was just presented in an easy to read way.

In the end, nobody is going to buy this for bedside reading, but if you've been assigned it for a class, well, as intro textbooks go it's a pretty good one, if you're looking for more depth, you'll need to look elsewhere.

And if you're looking for a book with some practical use in the workplace, well as those go it's a pretty good one too.