A Bitter Veil by Libby Fischer Hellmann

A Bitter Veil - Libby Fischer Hellmann

Western woman marries handsome Iranian student and returns to his homeland with him, just in time for the revolution.

This was a real 3 star for me. I liked it well enough, but not more. It's well written, clearly well researched, and it certainly kept me turning pages. It just felt like it went off the rails at some point, and devolved into an weird murder mystery with a slightly too deus ex machina ending. For me at least.

Right up until then, I would have rated it somewhat higher probably. But since I can't unread that part, well, so be it.

If you're interested in the Iranian revolution (it's really a fascinating time and place to read about) I can highly recommend Marjan Satrapi's Persepolis which, despite being non-fiction, a graphic novel and from the perspective of a child, is really rather spectacular. If you're interested in life as a western woman in the middle east (and particularly how one might extricate oneself from there, a perspective I was hoping would be covered in this book, but was instead almost ignored), well there's plenty of those, probably the most well known being Betty Mahmoody's Not Without My Daughter (you may well have seen the film which I found a little bit hysterical, but the book is actually rather good).

I'd consider reading more by this author though, as said, the writing is good and for most of the book she had me.