Cupcakes, Trinkets and other Deadly Magic (The Dowser #1) Meghan Doidge

Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic - Meghan Ciana Doidge

Not bad. Cute in fact. A bit tropey, gorgeous smart and supertalented cook who owns her own successful business at an improbably young age, discovers she's got superpowers.

Heroine is a bit passive, getting ordered around by everyone and anyone, until the very end when she finally grows a backbone. I think without that saving grace I may have liked it a lot less. The writing is competent, but the main character has a couple of annoying quirks, a "Yes I went there" kind of self-congratulory tone that is laid on a bit too thick, and it drops brand names constantly, which I suspect would also be annoying if not for the fact I didn't recognise any of them, so they slid right by me. Cos really, I don't much care about expensive rain boots, and I'm not sure why the character thinks I might.

Of course the men are so alpha it hurtss, and there looks like maybe a setup for a love triangle between a witch, a vampire and a werewolf. Because that's totally original. But I'm just speculating there.

I'll probably pick up the next couple of this series, because this was a nice light and fun read, and intriguing enough to want to know what happens next, but it's not an autobuy yet.