Fun with statistics, part eleventy three

Ok, not eleventy three, but I lost count.

This one's pure fun, I have *no* idea what it means, either in isolation or in relation to my theory. It's really fun to think about though.

Question one was: What kind of reviewer are you (choose the one that describes you best)

- Review every book (51.1%)

- Review select books (the ones that stick with you or made an impression) (8.4%) (I assume this also includes books they liked.)

- Does not review (4.6%)

- Casual reviewer (I review if I have time or am in the mood) (32.1%)

- I only review books I liked (3,8%)

- I only review books I didn't like

As an aside, contrary to popular authorial opinion, nobody chose that last option.

I also had a question on a 1-5 scale asking the following scenario:

You are interested in a book. It has a high aggregate rating, but your social circle rated it poorly. Does this make you more or less likely to read or purchase this book?

Less likely = 1 <-------> 5 = More likely

Ok, now here is the hinky result: Those 3.8% of people who only review books they liked, are much more likely to purchase this book in this scenario than any other group. The mean answer for that group was 4.2 on a 5 point scale. The means for all the other groups were in the range of 2.3-2.5.

In word terms: People who only review books they liked, are much (much!) more likely to read or purchase a book they were interested in after seeing that has high ratings but all their friends hated it, than anyone else. Everyone else ranges from very slightly put off to pretty much unaffected - they're about as interested in it as they were before they saw the ratings.

(and for the ob real-statistics, significance for this result was p = .004 - there is a 99.6% chance that if you picked any random subset of the respondents, you'd see the same result, and a 0.04 chance I just got this by fluke.)

The only thing I can come up with is that people who only review stuff they like fill their social circle with people who have the opposite taste to them. Or people who's opinions don't matter at all to them. Or... ok, honestly, I got nothing here :)